Sway Bars Front/Rear

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Sway Bars Front/Rear
From: PbPied@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 21:48:24 EDT
Scott,

Sorry for jumping when coming to a discussion late (have been offline for
a while), but here is my take on the subject:

Allowing changes to either front or rear bars on cars which came with
both sounds totally in favor of those so equipped.  I doing so, you allow
double the tuning choices to those vehicles, while maintaining the
current situation for those delivered with a front bar only.

I fail to see how that might improve the class mix or make very many
cars which are now "off the pace" into competitive rides.  My personal
experience with a front driver prone to severe understeer is that I'd be glad
to go back to the stock front bar, add a rear one, and soften the settings
of the rear shocks from the current "Spin Out Before You Can Catch It"
settings.  Might make my car competitive in a larger than regional arena.

Considering that "The Car" for any class likely has all it needs (including
both bars), allowing it even more without giving the same help to the
underdogs seems like counter-intuitive reasoning.

Alan Sheidler

>The sway bar question is really a two-edged sword. If it were allowed
>(the choice of allowing a change at one end or the other) it might even
>help the current "Spec Car" as much or more than any other car. It also
>might add a few options to an otherwise model-specific class.
>
>Before anyone would waste the time and effort of those hard-working
>folks in SCCA to poll members about this, I would rather see some small
>group(s) independantly explore the possible effects - like perhaps at
>some local level. Or, some discussion about which cars would be helped
>significantly through experiences (in various humble opinions).
>
>I do not favor "Let's all run out and do this". I do favor thinking on
>it a while and trying to gather any specific examples of how this would
>either work well, or....screw things up.
>
>Anyone out there play with your car's sway bars and found it became
unbeatable?