Re: stolen cars (no autox content)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: stolen cars (no autox content)
From: Jim Carr <jac@scri.fsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:17:52 -0400 (EDT)

on Sat, 23 Oct 1999 08:09:26 -0500
"Jan Schmidt" (Bill Schmidt cs rx7 kc reg) <jschmidt@kumc.edu> wrote:

> This info ...

} A recent study by the National Insurance Crime Bureau ranked the most
} commonly stolen vehicles in America.  The top ten are:
} 1.  Honda Accord
} 2.  Toyota Camry
} 3.  Chevrolet C/K Pickup
} 4.  Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
} 5.  Honda Civic
} 6.  Oldsmobile Cutlass
} 7.  Ford F-series Pickup
} 8.  Fort Mustang
} 9.  Dodge Caravan
} 10. Toyota Corolla

> ... is pretty meaningless. These also happen to be the top
>selling vehicles last year! What would really be interesting, would
>be top stolen vehicles as a percentage of their total U.S. sales.
>I bet they would be: Corvette, Supra, RX7, 300zx , 911, Boxter, M3,
>Integra R, Miata, etc

 Some cars are hard to steal ("splackable" GM cars now have an
 anti-theft system) and some make better battering rams or are
 better able to carry your fellow gang members than others.  Thus
 the (regionally varying) reason for theft matters a lot.  Common
 4-passenger cars that kids know how to steal will top the list
 for cheap transportation that is less expensive to the insurer
 than when the car is stripped or sold.  Some of the above are
 probably returned with little damage, while others might have
 been used as battering rams in a 'smash-and-grab' robbery.

 In any case, the answer to this question (and similar insurance cost
 questions) is documented in various ways by the HLDI and IIHS folks
 on their respective web sites.  For example, the slightly date

    http://www.carsafety.org/news_releases/pr052599.htm

 summarizes top theft _losses_ (the dollar cost for replacement or
 theft-related damage repairs) and claim _frequencies_ in relative
 numbers based on national averages, plus a graph of the actual
 costs and theft rates that define that average.  Your guess is
 close on some, wrong on others.

 They also provide a collection of data on $$$ losses for all cars
 with enough statistics to be of interest at

    http://www.carsafety.org/ictl/ictl.htm

 again using average rates as the basis for comparison.

 Corresponding death rate data is provided by IIHS (which also
 does private crashworthiness tests on mass-market vehicles) at

    http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ddr/ddr.htm

 about which the HLDI comments "Sports cars tend to have high death
 rates because they're more likely to be in high-speed single-vehicle
 crashes in which the risk of fatality is high. However, insurance
 injury claim frequencies for sports cars tend to be about average."
 [No survivor = no claimant = lower insurance costs?]

 These are good sites to consult, in addition to your own agent, to
 estimate what insurance costs and/or crash survivability might be
 for a particular car in comparison to another under consideration.