Allies -vs- Axis visitor info

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Allies -vs- Axis visitor info
From: Jim Carr <jac@scri.fsu.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 20:02:28 -0500 (EST)
 Karl has given those of you coming to Tallahassee for the Axis -vs- Allies
 autocross on 5 December the info relevant to the autocrossing side of the
 story.  I'll add that the course is mapped and I may have that map up this
 week.  I will say that it looks fast _if_ you have the guts and tires to
 make it through the 20 cones that define "The Slot" this year.

  ...... No autocross content below this line........

 Saturday is the "Winter Festival" downtown featuring a really spectacular
 job of lighting the canopy Live Oaks in one park and just about anything
 that will hold lights, plus a totally funky parade, food, entertainment on
 a half dozen stages, and "Santa's Enchanted Forest".  They charge for
 parking in the city ramp.  Food booths open at 5, lighting ceremony at
 6:15, the "Jingle Bell Run" at 6:45 (a competitive/fun run where every
 paid entrant gets bells for their shoes and costumes are encouraged),
 and the parade from 7:30 until they run out of floats.  I cannot explain
 how funky the parade is except to note that vehicles such as the Crowder
 Trucking dump truck are decorated with lights and the bands include
 adults with kazoos and an elementary school recorder band plus stuff
 you might actually expect.  Good viewing anywhere on the route, but
 I prefer the dark stretch down Jefferson/Pensacola or the more lit
 up part that goes down Monroe street.

 If you have a need to do some Christmas shopping, "Market Days", a fund-
 raising activity of a local children's museum, is on both Saturday and
 Sunday from 10 to 5.  There is an admission charge, but the 300 artists
 and craftsmen there are selected based on quality from a large pool of
 applicants.  It is at the Fairgrounds (S. Monroe, a mile or so south
 of the Capitol). If interested, check out

       http://tallahasseemuseum.org/

 for more info.  Also note that this outdoor museum is itself a good
 place for kids (native critters in an outdoor zoo plus an historic
 north Florida farm plus the white tigers as "guest animals") and is
 just a mile or two from the airport event site.

 The Odyssey Science Center / Museum of Art Tallahassee downtown
 is hosting some animated dinosaurs downstairs and two very nice
 traveling art collections upstairs.  Open 10-5 Saturday and they
 often let people in free after 4 if you get downtown early for
 the light show.  One admission for both museums.

 The AMC-20 Theaters in Tallahassee Mall has stadium seating and
 giant 40' screens for your viewing pleasure.  Drop me or Karl or
 Chris a note for advice on restaurants or bars.  Big Dick Berger
 recommends CPA (Club Park Avenue) downtown, I understand.  ;-)

 Oh, yes, and if you are into _CARS_, the antique car museum located
 on US-90 just west of the easternmost Tallahassee exit (I-10/US-90)
 has some great cars.  It is open 10-5 Saturday and 12-5 Sunday (but
 we will be running our cars on Sunday).  Last year he had two of his
 many Batman cars in the winter fest parade.  Quite a collection, from
 a really nice Dusey to a Prowler.