Thorsen LSD in mid-engined cars

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thorsen LSD in mid-engined cars
From: "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 18:16:56 -0600
In true TLS fashion, I was able to almost get my car together (?) just
before the end of last season. I had a fuel pump problem at the Pikes Peak
National Tour, was able to finish one lap. Lately, I have ALMOST been able
to run the entire day, all 8 laps.

Anyway, WHEN the car is able to make it around the track (I have accepted
the humility of dialing in a Prepared car) it has terminal understeer. I
have worked with tire pressures, shock settings (12 way HAL's on the front,
modified Koni struts with adjustable perch in the rear) but with little
results.
The Fiero simply does not want to turn. I have eliminated (almost) the
alignment. What is left is two things - - too much front spring (350lbs) in
the front  (the scales while weight jacking showed a total of 790lbs in the
front) - - or the diffy.

Last year I ran cut stock springs on the stock Fiero front suspension, this
year I went to a coil-over suspension. The sway bars are the same ones as I
used previously. All the oversteer and snap-spin characteristics are
gone - - the '88 Fiero rear cradle with adjustable links has tamed the rear.

I have a 3.94:1 ratio 5 spd Getrag with a Thorsen-Gleason LSD built in the
tranny. I know the LSD makes quite a difference, on a tight 180 degree turn
last event I struggled to get around the corner. If I lifted, the turning
ratio tightened appreciably, if I added throttle the car pushed, the more
throttle, the straighter it wanted to go. Constant throttle was the only way
to go!! Is this just a driving style I need to adapt, or should I consider
losing the LSD in spite of the performance (straight-line and ProSolo/drag
launches)?

I thought I would tax the brains of you suspension guru's and seek input.
about both the springs and LSD.

Thanx