Re: Miata rollbar

To: Derek Engelhaupt <derekengelhaupt@rocketmail.com>
Subject: Re: Miata rollbar
From: Ian McCloghrie <ian@codrus.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 10:41:21 -0800
On Dec 1, 1999 Derek Engelhaupt wrote:
> are bolted trough the wheel wells.  It would be a PITA and about 2
> hours to de-install.  Instead of looking for a taller bar, I think you

You don't need to de-install it, you simply need to make the piece of
the bar that obstructs the top removable.

I don't know of a bar that does this, but it should be possible to
design one.  As a thought experiment, imagine taking a HDHC (Hard Dog Hard
Core, for those not up on Miataspeak), cutting the four rising tubes a
couple inches above the seat belt towers, and having the pieces of tube
at the bottom be slightly thicker (so that the ascending tubes on the
now-detached top portion fit inside them).  Lengthen the ascending tubes,
drill 3 or 4 holes through both tubes where one fits inside the other, and
thread bolts through to secure them together.  Given that race cages do
this sort of thing all the time for various bars, it should be possible to
make the join strong enough, and it would be removable in 5 or 10 minutes.

Note that I'm not proposing doing this with an actual HDHC, it would
clearly need to be custom fabricated.  The HDHC just demonstrates the
concept.

> need to look for a way to lower your seat position in the car.  There
> are documented ways of doing this by removing some of the cushioning in
> the seats of the Miata.  You might be able to have someone fabricate
> some lower mounting brackets for the seats, also. Check out the
> following link on how to modify your seats:

I would expect that's not legal in stock though.

--Ian
'99 Emerald Mica Miata LP, with HDHCDD