Re: Stock or Modified(Street Prepared, Prepared, Mod, etc.)?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stock or Modified(Street Prepared, Prepared, Mod, etc.)?
From: adozzell@sc9.intel.com (TONY OZZELLO P802 AWS)
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 10:32:55 -0800
The question was asked:
> Ok, I think it's time to start a new thread with an Autocross theme ; >
> ). I've been pondering this for a while now. Let's assume a novice
> autocrosser. Would he be better starting off with a Stock Car as opposed
> to a Street Prepared?

As a relatively new person to the sport I think it's better to start
off in the stock class if possible, I own a Pontiac WS6 Formula and
got stuck in SS right off the bat so I started by running the car in
ESP since I wanted to learn from the other f-bodies at the same time.
Now, since I'm in ESP I can do stuff to the car. In short, I can take
a pretty solid car and make it worse with very little effort :) I don't
have the self control needed to drive the car in stock trim in the SP
class. I wish I did, then I could concentrate on learning to drive the
car and less on setting up the car. And when I drove slow the only place
to put the blame would be on the driver.
For this reason alsone I think it's better to start in the stock class
and concentrate solely on learning to drive without all the distractions
of the additional car setup variables in the SP class and the resulting
ability to the blame the car setup instead of the driver.

All very humble of course,

Tony Ozzello
#23 ESP, SFR