Re: Peru Pro

Subject: Re: Peru Pro
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 14:54:42 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Steven T. Ekstrand wrote:
> I can't applaude the course designer for making a fun and competitive
> track.  He failed in his number one priority---safety.  I'd say the
> competitors who noticed the close calls and dangerous situations let the
> sport down as well for not making it an immediate issue.

Well, as one of those competitors who chose not to make a fuss...

Recognize that demanding a course change ("move a couple cones") is far
from a trivial thing, particularly after runs have begun.  Folks have to
argue about it, then figure out how to modify the course, then allow folks
to re-walk it, etc.  Given that we finished up Saturday nearing darkness,
this isn't a trivial thing.

I, at least, was betting that we wouldn't have any incidents and that we'd
get a chance to address the course design issues after the event.
Obviously I bet wrong and I imagine at least two people wish we'd changed
the course.  I can't say I'd bet differently in the future however.  Keep
in mind that the seperation between cars wasn't four feet.  There was a
reasonable amout of space between the cars, probably even meeting the
course design specs (which I've never seen, so I'm talking outta my butt
on that).

Mark