Re: Stock class reclassings

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stock class reclassings
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 01:21:45 EDT
I have finally had a chance to really look over the re-classing proposal, and
it is quite obvious, they want to make alot of cars obsolete to make room for
the super stock spread out. I am biased here since I spent good money on a
car at the end of last year basically just to autocross. So this is just one
example that effects me, and a few others.

I bought a 95 Celica ST. I knew it was moving up to EStock, and felt it would
still run well, and it has. It is also now my wife daily driver, and that was
part of the reason for the car choice, it is a great daily driver.

But with this re-class, I get pushed into a class with the Probe GT, MX-6
V-6, Starion/Conquest turbos, SVO Turbos, Sentra SE-R, Camaro V-6 etc. WOW
talk about making it totally course dependant. I have a nice nimble good
handling car with NO POWER. Even Jeff Cashmore, who can run His 95 ST with
the big dogs gets beat on power courses by several of these cars. I can see
the New (00) Celica GT getting in there with the simple power to weight
numbers, and a better chassis too, but the 95's will be toast. It took Jeff
to his last run to catch a 2000 GT in Peru, and that 2000 was still runing
stock shocks? I just spent the money on the Konis and crash bolts to get
close to the prepped competition. I know I am not THE driver yet, but I hope
to get there, and I sure hope I don't have to buy 2 or 3 more cars in the
process. I have to make up less than 1 second a day to catch the leaders, but
if this class change goes through as listed, I need another full second. UGH!
 I have driven a Probe GT, not even a prepped one, it will spank the Celica
ST's.

I will be writing my letter to the SEB on this one. The 1.8 turbo beetle with
150 hp gets the slower class, and my 115 hp on a good day has to fight with
the 160+ hp croud, THANKS FOR NOTHING. Has anyone noticed that this is the
LOWEST power car in the class 8 listing?? The way it is written now, the ES
Neons go down to class 9, WHY?? They run quite strong where they are. Even
figuring in power curves and alignment potential, this is getting a bit much.

Gary M.
95 Celica ST, Dead meat for 2002 ?
even if I learn to drive it to the limit