Re: 1st gen RX-7 setup

To: <Mdmotorsprt@aol.com>, <Smokerbros@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1st gen RX-7 setup
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 23:12:41 -0500
From: Mdmotorsprt@aol.com <Mdmotorsprt@aol.com>

>Phil,
>I never underinflate either. I always adjust upward, but make sure the
>differential from front to rear is significant.

Not necessarily significant differential, but sufficient rear pressure.
They may or may not be the same thing.  The idea is to run the pressure in
the fronts that give the front the most stick, then over-inflate the rears
until handling balance is achieved.  For some tires and cars, I expect that
the correct pressure for the fronts and an adequate over-inflation for the
rears might actually be the same PSI.  On the other hand, tires with very
stiff tread belts may require very high pressures in the rear to work.  I
have run BFG R1 tires over 50 PSI on the rear of FWD cars, while running in
the thirties in the front.

The Lotus is a different kettle of fish entirely.  I have been running 16
PSI in the front and 22 in the rear.  I think I could stand to run less in
the front, but I'm a little nervous about going that low.

1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban
"If I can do it, it's not art"  - Red Green