Re: 3in1 Machines ???

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 3in1 Machines ???
From: FHPREMACH@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 19:35:36 EDT
Hi,
As a former programmer/machinist/weldor/sheet metal mechanic, and now dealing
software for these crafts, I can say that I would not be going after one of
the 3-1 machines. I have seen them, and although they look good, they are
really for someone who will probably never truly use, or understand how
limited they are.
I am fortunate to have purchased a Bridgeport size CNC some years ago, and
love it. I own a TRIOK style sheet metal machine, as well as a number of
other machines. I am also incredibly cheap, and can say at this moment, used
machinery at auction is ridiculously low priced. go to an auction, look for a
lathe that fits and buy it. Buy a Bridgeport size mill and love it, and buy a
TRIOK, Carroll Smith said so and I doubted it, but he was right. Grizzly
Machinery in PENN, and Bellingham, WA, has great prices, they have one small
mill I would own, it is a copy of the SELECT A-1S milling machine, I will buy
one for tube notching soon. it is also well thought out, but needs about a 6
inch spacer to make it really useful. Several tool makers I know have them
for their garages. They all built spacers by turning them out of Iron Sewer
Pipe sections. Some of the better Mill/Drills are worth having. Also, get a
subxcription to Home Shop Machininist. I find it like Grassroots Motorsports.
Not always what I need, but always worth the price. It is a good magazine
that shows you how to do things and has ads geared towards people like us as
opposed to Modern Machinist which shows machines that people like Edelbrock
or Koni buy.

Fred