Re: Real TV autocross accident clip

To: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: Real TV autocross accident clip
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 20:55:45 -0500
Phil Ethier wrote:

> Yes.  My only reason in the first place for bringing up the possible club
> involvement was the question by (someone) regarding whether SCCA's legal
> department could sue Real TV for libel or slander or whatever.  My point was
> that since Real TV did not identify this event with SCCA, SCCA would have a
> hard time showing that they had been damaged.

Very good point.  And I wouldn't argue with you for a moment on that
one.

> As a member of a non-SCCA club, I have pointed out before that what is done
> by any autocross club, and indeed, the use of the word "autocross" for
> events that did not deserve that designation, affects all of us.

You'd better believe it does!  And once any damage has been done to
the sport, it's usually impossible (or damn near impossible) to
repair.

> Here is
> an event (which may not even have been run by a regular autocross club)
> which has by association given all of us a black eye as safety-ignorant
> idiots.

Yep!  And it's something we're going to have to deal with if we
approach a site owner who's seen the same clip.  As I said in my
original post on this subject, I (as a working journalist) would not
want to stand in the way of anybody saying or posting anything that
he/she wants to.  However, I would echo what you've just said with
these words - please think about the consequences before you say or
post something.

> So I get back on my soapbox again:  If you are at an event, any
> event, my club included, and there is some safety problem, no matter how
> small, speak up.  If they call you a crybaby, have a thick skin and explain
> your concerns.  In the legal climate of this country, we are just one
> disaster away from losing the sport forever.  And the problem is not going
> to stop at club lines.

Amen, Brother!!!  Safety is EVERYBODY'S responsibility. If you see a
potential safety problem, point it out.  If it's not fixed to your
satisfaction, pack up your toys and go home.  And, if it happens at an
SCCA-sanctioned event, knock out a note to your Divisional Solo Safety
Steward and Risk Management after you get home.  As much fun as we
have doing this, we're constantly treading on thin ice.  Let's make
sure we keep this sport around.  I enjoy it too much to have to give
it up!!  8<{)

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman