Classing Mathematics

To: quad4fiero@webzone.net
Subject: Classing Mathematics
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 20:35:53 EDT
George, et al:

First, let me say that I haven't held a National Field Staff position for
several years.  I will also be competing in CP, so I truly have no dog in
this fight.  I do take it personally when the people classing Stock cars are
unduly criticized, having been one of them for 12 years.

Here's the math equation that should work, given enough tweaking, IMHO.  It's
a fraction with everything good on top, divided by bad things.  In its
simplest form, something like this:

HP + Torque + [Wheel width(inches)X10] / [Weight/10] + Wheelbase + Width

So, a larger number is better than a small one.  The "X10" and "/10" are used
to change the relative importance of each item.  The problem comes in
determining what those relative importances are.

Then you have to factor in configuration.  Is Mid-engine really best?  I can
cite lots of Front engine/rear drive cars, and Heck, even throw in the FWD
Integra Type R to liven up that discussion.

You'll need factors for things like limited slips, too.

I think what you get down to is human beings deciding the importance of
mathematical factors instead of human beings looking at a whole picture.  I'm
not sure you've improved anything.

Good luck.  I'd love to see what you come up with, but expect everyone to try
to poke holes in it.  If it withstands the "autocrossers with pokers" test
(none of my formulae have), then it's worth running as far as you can with it.

Charlie