National vs Local Needs (was Fair Classing for everybody)

To: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@Bigfoot.com>
Subject: National vs Local Needs (was Fair Classing for everybody)
From: "Jeff Winchell" <Jeff@Winchell.Com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 17:52:55 -0700
> Actually you've got it exactly backwards.  At the 80% level, the better driver
> can win in any reasonable car.  At the 95% level the difference in hardware
> becomes MORE critical, not less.

This is true.

It is also true that the PERCEPTION of a majority of non-national level
drivers is that the current system, for various reasons, significantly
penalizes them.

So, you can spend the enormous effort of educating all those people of
the reality, or provide an alternative system for those people that they feel
is fair. (The good drivers will still win regardless).

I'd bet there is a solution out there that would address these needs, that
wouldn't discourage the better drivers from also following the SCCA
model and doing SCCA national and divisional type events.

I'd love to see people working towards solutions that recognize the value
of the requirements of BOTH types of drivers.