AMods and wind (was: Asphalt index)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: AMods and wind (was: Asphalt index)
From: Ross Fortini <ross.fortini@excite.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 09:11:52 -0700 (PDT)
|  Eric Buckley wrote:
|
|  As for Andy's results, keep in mind it was mighty windy Sunday
|  and wind really messes up that big A mod wing. I was working
|  course when he ran and you could see the car getting knocked
|  around by the gusts.

Eric, I certainly wasn't there, so I don't know the specifics of which way
the wind was blowing relative to your course.

But keep in mind that wind also can give that "big A mod wing" a significant
boost in downforce if it's any sort of headwind. Not to insult your
intelligence, but a 20mph wind is the same as running 20mph faster from a
downforce perspective. Wind factors can contribute significantly to a winged
car's "sticktion"...of course the opposite is true if it's a tailwind! Take
it from someone who spent most of last weekend spinning and grinning in his
first AMod drive (yeah--the tailwind--that was the problem!)

Ross Fortini
AMod "Driver"-in-training

Say Bye to Slow Internet!
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html