Re: Heat cycle for the DOT Race tires, needed or not?

To: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>, "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Heat cycle for the DOT Race tires, needed or not?
From: Bill Ozinga <oz@tirerack.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 12:33:37 -0700
Mongo thumped the keyboard and this came out...

> Heat cycling good. Mongo like. Check out the Hoosier method on the
> Tire Rack web site for details. Tire Rack heat cycling bad. Mongo no
> like.

> Mongo thinks it is a cash extraction device because there is no
> way it can do the same thing as Hoosier method.

Mongo a bit(?) cynical and uninformed. BFG, Hoosier and Kumho all approve of
our process. BFG has tested and published the results. It works.

> Mongo also knows they
> heat cycle nearly all the shaved tires so you get it for free if you
> ask for shaved tires.

Mongo downright wrong on this one. I think we may have sent you a pair that
way to solve a delivery time problem, but we certainly don't heatcycle
everything we shave.

> But all of Mongo's rich road race friends have 2
> sets of wheels so they can heat cycle the new Hoosiers Saturday
> morning and they will be just right for the Sunday afternoon race.

Allow 24-48 hours mininum time before using or don't bother heatcycling at
all.

> But
> of course, racing ain't autocrossing is it? ;-)

Why, if it were we'd all be on Speedvision!

> IMHO

What? Mongo humble? Then he must not be...

> Paul Foster

Hmmmm.... I wouldn't want to argue with that guy, he's more determined than
a pitbull.

Then in a seperate message Paul "My new last name *is* easier to spell than
my old one" Cezanne said...

> And besides, didn't Bill Oz sort of agree with Hoosier Tom?  It is a
> waste of money.
>
> It is NOT a waste of TIME.  For some this is very important.  Bill is
> very upfront about what it does and doesn't do.

I never said waste of money. Here's exactly what I said...

> There is absolutely no difference between our mechanical heatcycling service
> and doing it properly yourself, and that is stated on our website. But there
> are advantages to our service which apply in some situations...
>
> Taking them as a backup set unmounted - you wouldn't have to mount,
> heatcycle, dismount, remount the original set.
>
> Time - not like anyone ever procrastinates, but ours spend the curing time
> while being shipped and you don't have to do the extra wheel swaps.
>
> Consistency and wear - we get very even temps in the tire with no wear.
>
> Not all cars street legal/plated - Especially true for road racing/track
> events.
>
> No risk to puncture - Some race tires are a bit fragile when it comes to
> punctures, so why take the risk of damaging one on the street?
>
> If any of these factors apply to you, compare convenience to cost and make
> your choice.

Where Tom and I disagree is whether or not an autoxer on the autoxer
compound benefits as much as a roadracer on roadrace compounds.

Here's Hoosier Tom's quote...

> I just don't think it's as great a value for A3S03 Hoosiers as it is for
> R3S03 Hoosiers.
> That's my opinion and experience.  YMMV

Well, my mileage did vary. It varied about 40% . In my personal experience,
heatcycling Hoosiers (either compound - and I've been on Hoosiers since the
radial came out) gave me about a 40% improvement in treadwear over "sticker"
sets. Not real scientific, but that's what happened for me. That kind of
improvement worth $60 to me, whether you pay for it in "real money" or time.
Getting a 40% improvement in wear for 10% of the cost of the tires is a
no-brainer, even for Mongo.

Personally, I choose the mechanical version because I don't think Hoosiers
would make it in and out of my gravel driveway without damage and think it's
silly to have to trailer my tires someplace else to heatcycle them. I also
fall into the procrastinator category sometimes.

Overall, we really don't mind if you use our heatcycling or not. But
heatcycling does work and is worth your time or money however you decide to
do it.

Now a question for Paul Foster. How do you find time to heatcycle tires and
still make the top ten posters too? With the time we could save you, you
could be #1!

Bill Ozinga - webmaster@tirerack.com
Webmaster - The Tire Rack
http://www.tirerack.com