Re: Lightweight wheels...drive only?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lightweight wheels...drive only?
From: "David Hironaka" <daveds50@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 21:47:08 -0700
  Jon wrote:

>Ever watch sprint-kart racing?  On the longer straights, the drivers kind
>of jump themselves forward in their seats, gaining all the momentum they
>can.  No, it doesn't make the kart faster, what it does is unload the
>rear wheels temporarily (a short-term version of what we are discussing,
>right?) allowing the engine to revto top rpms more quickly.  This effect
>only lasts for split seconds but you will be amazed at how effective it
>is.

   actually, the reason you see the clutch kart racers do this,  is to
lock up their clutches. clutch stall speed is set to peak torque
of the engine, and you can make the clutch grab for a moment
by jumping up and basically having the engine push the
kart without the weight of your body for a moment...  the trick is,
not to slam backward into the seat and slow the kart back down to
where the RPM's drop back below the clutch stall speed...
  yes, we look like idiots bouncing around... :-)  but yes it's _very_
effective.
  other than that Per, get the wheels, then try to find light wheels
for the non drive end...   that should make everyone happy.  :-)
  see ya,
  dave  ( 99 Renspeed shifter, 96 Top Kart clutch kart, asst CSP
cars... )