RE: Sucking up to sponsors

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Sucking up to sponsors
From: Alan Pozner <AlanP@identicard.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 08:45:01 -0400
Jeff wrote:

>>I hafta disagree.  Opinions are everywhere, and we can express them if we
feel the need.  The Tire Rack needs to hear about people that may not be
completely satisfied if they want to stay competitive.  Just because they
decided to spend money advertising in our arena does not, in my opinion,
mean we should always tell them they are great, if at times we don't think
that is true.

How far are you willing to go...If a sponsor were to put forth a bad
product do we all have to pretend it is good because they paid some money
to us....Sounds like the childhood story of the King and his new clothes.

BTW  I am happy to fly the tirerack banner as long as they have a good
reputation.

Jeff (Loyal customer of R&S racing, as long as Ron and Sonya stay such nice
people) Christianson
#65 EM<<

Jeff,

My problem with the initial post was not because of a condemnation of
TireRack. It was because Stephen said that someone else said something bad
about TireRack. Heresay evidence is inadmissable in court. When it reflects
negatively on a sponsor then that assertion has no place on the list. We
know TireRack is listening. We know how hard it is to attract sponsors to
our spectator-less sport that gets no TV coverage. Why should we piss them
off over an issue where no concrete evidence has been presented?

When it comes to free speech I have just as much of a right to tell someone
to shutup as they do to keep speaking :-)

As far as "sucking up to sponsors" goes I am happy to do it if it pays the
bills. Do you really believe that Dale Earnhart puts on that GM Goodwrench
hat after each race because he wants to stay out of the sun?

Alan (loyal customer of TireRack as long as they remain a sponsor ;-}  )
Pozner