Re: Labor Day Weekend at Rt66

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Labor Day Weekend at Rt66
From: Ross Fortini <ross.fortini@excite.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 13:34:53 -0700 (PDT)
Jon, to add to comments made by Mike "Rt66 Index Dominator" Bullis and Gary
"Every Site's Grippy When You Never Have To Lift" Meissner, here are a few
items to aid your decision about whether to attend the Labor Day event at
Route 66 Raceway:

PLUSES:
+ A quick scan of the CenDiv regional schedule shows that there is a
divisional event in Ohio, a Central Illinois regional, and a WAI event at
the beautiful Milwaukee County Stadium facility on Monday. Some of the
"extra" people we see at Route 66 are often Central Illinois, South Bend or
Wisconsin people, so these other events should reduce their numbers at the
CR event. Also, the CenDiv will pull/keep a few people away who are running
for points in the Divisional series.

+ Events at this site have gotten a bad reputation--somewhat unfairly--so
the attendance hasn't been as high as before (so I guess that means I should
be telling you "DON'T SHOW UP--THIS PLACE SUCKS!" ;->)

+ The region no longer shares the lot with the bracket dragracers. Part of
the debacle of the aforementioned event(s) was that there was damn little
space for a course, much less paddock for 175 cars, a decent-size grid,
registration, tech lines, etc. The cramped quarters caused *everything* to
take longer. Now there is *so* much room that the course designers haven't
quite used all of the available space. The courses are usually really good
here, as well.

MINUSES:
- It is a long weekend. Many folks don't have to work Monday so they won't
mind going farther to attend an autocross to which they wouldn't normally
travel.

- Newbies, while always nice to see, are often in above-average abundance at
Rt66 events. As Gary mentioned, it is a mystery for the ages as to why.

- The "150 car max" rule still *does not* apply to members of Chicago Region
(unless you've heard otherwise, Gary). So if 150 non-members preregister but
25 members want to register at the event site, they get in regardless of the
limit. That was the problem with the nightmare event in 1998 (IN DEFENSE OF
THAT EVENT, it was a *joint* event between CR-SCCA and TSSCC and I can't
think of a single member from either club that didn't show up that day).

OTHER FACTORS:
? Grippiness notwithstanding, it's asphalt (and probably slippery asphalt
for the morning runs). Decide whether the event will substantially aid you
in your preparation for Nationals given your goals. If you just want seat
time--see ya there! If you want to dial in your car for Topeka--enjoy your
family and have a barbeque instead!

Wishing you safe travels--Ross Fortini
Formerly: G Stock '99 Mitsu GSX
Currently: A Mod '97 Corellian Pod Racer
Eventually: C Mod '88 Van Diemen

Say Bye to Slow Internet!
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html