Re: Oil

To: <HAVOCDEAN@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil
From: "Brad Cox" <COXB@trimofran.org>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 09:10:00 -0500
>> As I remember, DuPont, the maker and or inventor of TEFLON does NOT
recommend it used in internal combustion engines. I'm no engineer by any
means, but I look at it this way. They seem to have a hellava time making
TEFLON stick to our frying pans. I don't see how TEFLON would stick to engine
parts coated with oil!!!!!<<<

In a former life I was a chemist for TX Refinery Corp.  We were never able to
get PTFE-type additives to perform at all.  Teflon bonds to metal at between
800 and 1000 degrees, and so much as a thumb print will prevent the bonding
process from taking place.

We even duplicated a fairly well known experiment involving 2 Briggs-n-Stratton
engines.  Another shop had performed this test and published their results, so
we thought we'd give it a try too.  We added non-synthetic motor oil (TRC
brand) to one motor and a synthetic blended with Slick 50 to the other.  We ran
each motor for a few minutes, then drained the crank case.  Then we ran each
engine continuously for 24 hours.  Both engines managed to complete the test.
Afterwards we tore the engines apart to see what damage was done.  The crank
pin bearings in each motor were badly scored.  But here's the kicker.  The
rings in the non-PTFE motor were fine, while the rings in the Slick 50 motor
were completely shot.  PTFE is a solid, and even though it's been ground into a
fine powder, engine tolerances are just too close to allow for such a thing.

-Brad
(If you use Slick 50 and swear by it, don't be angry, it's nothing personal.
Hard evidence please, and no tesitimonials.  ;-)  )