Black & White ( was re: I'm Not Every Woman )

To: kkelly@spss.com
Subject: Black & White ( was re: I'm Not Every Woman )
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 18:29:09 -0400 (EDT)
Katie Kelly wrote...
> I'd like all of you men and women who are so opposed to ladies classes
> to really consider that nothing is black and white in this world

[snip]

> Better yet, try it at a ProSolo. Look her straight in the eyes, and say,
> out loud, "I think that you devalue the other trophy winners, and you
> make our awards ceremonies last too long. I think you should make us all
> cookies."

   I think you should consider the juxtaposition between your statements
here.  In other words, just because someone doesn't think Ladies classes
are appropriate for National events, does not mean they hold the opinions
you have mentioned in this post, nor even think women shouldn't run there.

   You need to invest in a much, much narrower brush.

   I haven't seen anyone make the comments you are attributing to the
anti-Ladies Class contingent, and certainly not everyone has said those
things.  That was completely unfair to people who have said nothing
negative about women, regardless of where they choose to run.

   Personally, if there were a National class that I was eligible for,
which paid the same contingency with much less competition, it would be
hard to turn down, so I understand at least one reason why women run
Ladies.  Part of motorsports is exploiting the rules that are handed to
you.

   That doesn't mean I don't think the rules are right.

   Apparently, that makes me and everyone else with a reasonable
objection to Ladies Classes a misogynistic bastard in your book.

   Black and white indeed.

> She looked at me with pity, and said, "Katie, get real. That will
> NEVER happen. Women are slower than men."

   'Ladies Classes do not hurt anyone.'

--
 D a v i d  H i l l m a n
 scscc, nma, scca, imoc