Re: Anyone looking for a new Car Hauler?

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Anyone looking for a new Car Hauler?
From: "Charles R. Schultz" <n2pua4@peoplepc.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 05:12:06 -0500
Sorry, I don't know the exact crossover point, since I haven't had to
take a written test on this stuff in at least 25 years.  I'm glad you
caught me on this, 'cause I'd hate to give out incorrect information on
a whim.

Back when I was taking those tests, some states probably did require a
CDL-type license for this size rig (NY state's requirement was anything
over 18,000 GVW capacity for the truck, can't remember how much trailer
weight triggered it.)  Since the CDL's became a federal requirement,
though, it standardized at the 24,000 GVW point, so this "RV" fits below
that point.

In fact, back when I took my first road test in a truck, a lot depended
on how much you told the state you were going to haul.  Some trucks,
especially in the size range we're talking about, could be registered
either at or above the 18,000 pound mark.  At the mark, no special
license required.  One pound above, and a "chauffeur's" ticket was
required.

I really think there should also be a CDL required for vehicles over a
certain length, although I know this will probably never happen.  Too
many rich Republicans (and Democrats) own really big RV's.

Technically, if you're hauling hazardous cargo, you need one, too, so
you could run into problems with a really big tank of fuel or cylinders
of compressed gases in the rig, but, again, if it looks like an RV, you
could probably get away with it.

Sorry I jumped to an apparently incorrect assumption based on safety and
practicality rather than technicality.  I should know better with all
the jailhouse lawyers (or is that impound lot lawyers?) on this list!
;^)

Chuck (I don't play a truck driver on TV.  I play at it at work!)
Schultz

--
Chuck Schultz     /                       Mailto:n2pua4@peoplepc.com
                 / New Home page: http://www.n2pua4.webprovider.com/