Re: Rubber Buildup at Nats

To: zeislerj@hotmail.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rubber Buildup at Nats
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 11:15:58 EDT
Jim Zeisler wrote:

Observation about the GSMnow@aol.com original post:

<<  It wouldn't seem fair (to the CP group) to compare rubber buildup between
the ES and ESL heats, since the car took three runs each day in ES, versus
six each day in ESL.  And ESL ran later in the day than ES. >>

I didn't feel the need for writing all of the details, but I will add some
here.

Karly and I hand peeled almost all of the warm soft rubber off of the rear
tires before she and Sara took their last runs. The buildup was so bad after
the first 4 runs, we felt this was needed. The rubber that cured on after
nationals was from just two runs on just the north course. The BIG mistake
was leaving it on after their runs til we got back home to peel it. After my
runs in the earlier heat, there was not enough build up to bother with
peeling it.

Maybe I was hanging the tail out a bit more and scrubbed some off while
driving, but this does not totally hold either, because Sara's last run was
even faster than my best on the north course, it should have been just as
able to scrub the rear tires.

I am not blaming any CP'ers, just the fact that they have very large, very
soft tires, they tend to slide around a bit, and there were 66 of them laying
down rubber. Had we took the time to peel them right after the runs, it would
not have been a very big deal. After it had cured (over a week!!) it took
alot of work and the torch to get it off. I would have tried driving it off,
BUT to get the tires to fit in our trailer, I had to peel it odd the 2 spots
on each tires or the hold down bar would not fit, yes it was THAT bad. So now
the tires were far from round.

Gary M.

P.S. We had an 11 run day (My wife got a re-run) on asphalt this past Sunday,
and those previously burried tires now look like less than one event of wear.
We used them on the front.