Re: Crossing Tie-down straps

To: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: Crossing Tie-down straps
From: jac73@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 13:02:19 -0400

>> Another way that doesn't require twice the number of straps would
>> be to cross the straps so the diagonal pull gives you both
>> fore-aft and side-side components.

>However, crossing the straps makes it easier for the car to roll
>over relative to the trailer.

>Choose your poison...

If the rig goes inverted or nearly so, you've got a lot bigger problems
than lateral movement of the car relative to the trailer.  Maybe a system
of fore-aft, up-down, and side-side straps at each corner of the car would
serve to fix the car completely from 6-axis movement, but it'd look pretty
silly and, as a practical matter, wouldn't contribute much except in
incidents where there will already be a lot of vehicle damage.

As an academic exercise, the trailer-with-full-car-cage structure needed to
do such a thing would be interesting to engineer... then we can strap ESP
M3s into it and tumble it down an embankment to see if it works... :) :) :)
:) :)

Side note:  I've heard tales of cars breaking loose inside the compartments
in the big Ro-Ro car ships that transport cars and trucks overseas... they
tend to pinball around in the compartment until they get to the destination
port.  One tale was of about 30 S-Class Mercedes destroyed when one broke
loose.  Kind of an expensive oops.

Jim Crider