Re: STS Tire Rules --- The honro system

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: STS Tire Rules --- The honro system
From: "Dave Whitworth" <dave@wcsllc.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 18:47:09 -0500
I don't have a dog in this fight, since no one makes a street tire in
25x12x16 for my CP car :)

To all the STS Competitors:

I would caution relying on the honor system (or the fingernail removal
system) to police your rules.  This worked for many years in many classes,
but once someone does something that pushes the rules, then you have a
problem without a readily apparent solution.

Someone who doesn't believe in the honor system will push the rules at some
point, and possibly win because of it.  Then you will have your back against
the wall, because if it is somebody that is well liked, many others won't
want to change the rules to eliminate the winner, it just isn't fair they'll
say.

IMO, the ST classes are a very good thing, and you have a chance to
formulate a very nice set of rules to play by.  But, people will try to gain
every advanatage, and you can't protest for "breaking the honor system"

My advice is to think this issue out very carefully, and formulate the rules
as carefully as possible.  Unfortunately, tire rules are very hard to
police, so good luck...and keep an open mind, but don't rely on honor...

Dave

PS  A member of my family won a National Championship in 1983 on a set of
Dunhill no name tires, that mysteriously got made too soft and snapped up by
Vilven Tire.  They were considerably better than the hot tire of the time,
Phoenix Stahflex!  Coincident or not, we'll never know, but how would you
police this?