Re: M3 Torque (was RE: M3 in F-stock)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: M3 Torque (was RE: M3 in F-stock)
From: "Jeff Winchell" <Jeff@WINCHELL.COM>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 19:44:53 -0800
>By your reasoning, my Miata is probably putting almost as
>much torque to the ground as your Mustang in first (1415 lb-ft, if
>you wanna know, don't remember the numbers for your car).

Not even close. Over 3000 lb-ft for my car. Your Miata won't cut it against
either a SP M3 or SP ponycar. But I have no idea where the top flight
CSP Miatas come out in this.

>The trouble is, this little torque monster is only traveling at 27 mph
> at its torque peak in first (5500 engine rpm)

The discussion before talked about other gears too, not just first. Second
is much more important. I could change my rear gears to 2.73 and with a
stock rev limiter hit 54 mph in 1st gear (or take my chances going faster
by removing the rev limiter), but keeping smooth
acceleration/deceleration is too difficult to control.

>And for the record, I agree with you that the M3 shouldn't be in ESP.

Thanks.

>But I think we should give it another year in ESP to see how the non-Tunnell
>M3's
>fare next year

The standard measure of car competitiveness is using A drivers. The
past year had no other A drivers driving an M3 other than Tunnell, and
who knows if next year will have any.

That doesn't mean however that a lot of less than A drivers won't be
beaten soundly by other drivers who drive equally as well. It will just be
more difficult to convince the SCCA since they aren't used to making
judgements based on non-A drivers in non-A cars.