Re: Setting Street Tire Pressures

To: jonathan.rush@sdrc.com
Subject: Re: Setting Street Tire Pressures
From: David K Yeung <dkyeung@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 09:13:55 -0600
I've often wondered this same thing myself Jon,
is a closed form solution for adjusting pressures when changing tire
sizes? since most tires are marked with a load capacity (the 93H, 87V or
103S, etc. number that follows the tire size) that indicate the maximum
load weights at max pressure, one would expect there to be arelation to
adjust pressure based on the vehicle's max load capacity as defined on
the door jamb sticker.

from my space shuttle tire days, minimum pressure was determined by
protecting the limit of sidewall deflection. thus more load, more
pressure. although a 40 inch diameter-16 ply-triple wire bead aircraft
tire has little in common with passenger car tires other than being black
and round, I'm sure the passenger car tire manufacturers want to limit
sidewall deflection on car tires as well since it is a contributing
factor of internal delamination and eventual failure. thus for a given
load, there is a minimum pressure but that is usually not the optimum.

Rob may have a more precise answer but here's an old off-road4x4 trick I
recall used to determine hi-way pressure for oversized tires on trucks.
Start with the max inflation pressure on the sidewall, mark the treadface
of the tires with chalk or similar and drive for a few yards to determine
the "wear" pattern. adjust air pressure up or down as if the tread had
actually worn.

anyone else?
Dave Yeung
Houston Region