Electric Vehicles was [woo-hoo]

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electric Vehicles was [woo-hoo]
From: Snapspinnr@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 13:10:41 EST
I feel that if the whole world converts to electric power we will still be
able to have fun.

I have had the privelege of seeing quite a few electric vehicles run
autocross courses and I have also had the opportunity to drive one on a
couple of runs. I can tell you it's just as much fun as when you have gas
power. Several of the cars I have seen run compare favorably to my Type-R in
speed and handling.

Our local club (Tarheel Sports Car Club) has been working in conjunction with
an Electric Vehicle (EV) challenge competion for several years. This EV
challenge program is sponsered by the state and the local power companies.

What the program does is provide money and technical information to high
schools around the state and then they convert a used street car to electric
power. The Challenge provides a set of real world competitions for the
various schools to compete in. Our club helps out by putting on several
electric vehicle only autocrosses each year. Other competitions include a
maximum range/efficency event and a troubleshooting event that lets the
students demonstrate their technical knowledge.

Right now this type of car is in it's infancy. All of the cars that compete
in our events are towed in with gas powered trucks. But I can see a future
where performance will improve to rival that of gas cars. If a group of high
school shop students can build a reasonably fast car, imagine what some of
the creative folks in our sport could do?