Re: Paving advise

To: Mdmotorsprt@aol.com
Subject: Re: Paving advise
From: Reijo Silvennoinen <rase@istar.ca>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 04:38:30 -0700
Mdmotorsprt@aol.com wrote:

> Hey Folks,
>
> We have the opportunity to acquire a new site this year (THEY want us for 6
> events plus a divisional. Can you say Whooma tm ????), and some concerns have
> been raised about the surface. We believe it may be paved with "Coarse Base
> Coat", and it may not have a "Top Coat", as in regular highway asphalt paving.
>
> Has anyone used a lot with such asphalt paving, and if so, was there was any
> damage from autocross/race tires?. Private reply is fine, but this may be
> good info for the list to see alos.
>
> TIA,
>
> Mike Dickerson
> RE, Central Kentucky Region
> Lexington, Kentucky

We haven't run on anything like that, however since the" running course" or "top
course" is not present, the pavement will be rougher since there will be less
fines in the asphalt mix.  This will result in less traction and perhaps some
"rough" areas (more voids) which may be more prone to breaking up IMHO.  Think
about driving over road construction sections of pavement that have not been
completed - you might want to physically take a look at it first to see if it is
smooth enough to run on.....tar....etc.

Basically what the asphalt does is provide a water-proof barrier for the gravel
base below,  help to distribute the wheel loads to the road structure below and
provide a smooth running surface with appropriate traction qualities.  Local
residential streets may have as little as 2" of asphalt whereas collector roads
and other major arteries will have 6" or more thickness to deal with the wheel
loads of heavy trucks etc.

So there you have the "rest of the story".  ;^)

Reijo