RE: Speed Tip: Coke Adds Speed

To: "'dg50@daimlerchrysler.com'" <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>,
Subject: RE: Speed Tip: Coke Adds Speed
From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 09:43:01 -0800
I've conducted experiments myself, but rather than use my own example, I'd
rather just point to the research of Darren Madams. He tested many, many
different sodas. Unfortunately, I do not have his report with me, but I
believe the effects Red Bull and Jolt were both researched.

Coca Cola provides the most optimal balance of simple sugars and caffeine,
garnishing the quickest reflexes.

Many readers have Emailed me asking, "But what about DIET Coke, Ace
Reporter? I'll drink ANYTHING to win!"

Diet Coke comes with the appropriate caffeine, yes, but you need the sugar,
NOT that Nutrasweet crap that's reportedly killed rats in lab experiments.
Just think about what that stuff is doing to your BRAIN! Drinking Diet Coke
before, during, and after an autocross, brothers and sisters, is like the
KISS OF DEATH! Are you CRAZY?!

Now about these macho drinks of which Dennis Grant boasts: Well, there is
such a thing as too much, but if that's what Dennis is happy with, who am I
to tell him he's wrong? Lot's of people are comfortable living in their own
soda fantasy worlds.

Personal side note, just to prove that I really can see the other side: In
the mornings, I typically crave mochas. I am a true caffeine addict, you
see. For autocross purposes, these are NO GOOD, as I've discovered in my own
research. I am too wired, if there is such a thing. My head is spinning, I
can't sit still, and it's that much more difficult to focus.

Again, as I said, you need moderation, and you need a balance. Just like
it's possible to be too relaxed, so is it true that you can be too amped.
You'll spin out before you even reach the start line. What you're looking
for is that magical zone.

Katie