Re: SP rules

To: "Ryan and Dee Dee Brenneman" <rbrenneman@carolina.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: SP rules
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 21:15:31 -0600
From: Ryan and Dee Dee Brenneman <rbrenneman@carolina.rr.com>

>     I was pondering the rules in Street Prepared and was wondering if
"coil
>over" suspensions are legal. They seem to be but the rules do not  say
>specifically a coil over type suspension is legal.

And they ought not.  I proved with a poll on Team.Net some time back that
there is no commonly-accepted definition of the term "coil-over".  Read the
rules.  See what they allow.  See if your proposed setup meets these rules.
Don't even think about the term "coil-over".

My Lotus has coil-over suspension from the factory.  According to ONE of the
many definitions, and probably the first definition to be used, before
McPherson invented the strut that bears his name.  Now, if the rules said
that "coil-over suspension" was legal, what's to prevent someone from
tossing out what's there, and fitting suspension like a Europa?  This would
be way too extreme for the concept of Street Prepared.

Seriously,  I called for a suspension limitation which was based on common
terms upon which people from across the automotive spectrum agree.  If the
SCCA has in fact done that, rejoice.  And find out what the vender is really
selling you to find out if it is legal.

Our daughter Amanda has presented us with a second grandchild.  Sirena Mae
Stremski
arrived on the first day of Spring 2001, weighing 7 pounds 3 ounces.