Safety ?: Legal Tire Tread Depth

To: "Autox" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Safety ?: Legal Tire Tread Depth
From: "Brian Berryhill" <brianberryhill@flashmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 05:31:02 -0600
Hello,

I was wanting to get some opinions and insight on what is considered the
line for allowing a car with worn out tires to enter an autocross.
Currently, my RE71's have about 8k on them and the rears are worn past the
wear bars, onto what looks like the base of the tire (like if you seperated
the tread).  No cords are showing though.  I race in STS or DSP locally.

Would this be a safety hazzard if I were to autox on the tires?  I've driven
on a tire showing a few cords, but never autox'd that way.  My main concern
is the tires wear down so much and through the cords and there's a quick
loss of air, the tire rolls, the rim digs, etc.

So, at what point is it not safe to race on a tire anymore?

I'm considering either AVSi's (for traction) or Kumho 712's (for wear) as my
next set of tires.

Brian