Re: Speed Creep!

To: <autox@autox.team.net>, <roadsterboy@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Speed Creep!
From: "Brad Cox" <COXB@tmfhs.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 07:45:06 -0500
Ok, I've learned my lesson about being involved in threads like this.  All the
snipping of quotes can get confusing.  I DID NOT write any of what you see
below.  I believe Paul F. can be credited with it.

-brad

> Brad Cox writes:
> Yes, I am a speed creep and I am proud of it. The rules clearly state that
> the fastest Stock and SP cars cannot go faster than 65. If you want to
> change the rule then go right ahead and change it. But until you do, you
and
> the SCCA "bosses" are a bunch of hypocrites, particularly when this
happens
> at Nationals and Tour events as is apparently the current case.

They do not.  From the '01 Solo rulebook, section 2.1.A:  "Speeds on
straight stretches should not normally exceed the low 60's (mph) for the
fastest Stock and Street Prepared category cars."  First of all there is no
"cannot" in the rule; second, there is only a RANGE of speed given rather
than a hard number.  Having read all the previous  messages as regards the
event at TMS, I don't see where the problem was.

Did you actually READ the current rules before you posted this?

<snip>
> I think the same holds true for autocrossing. If you have 650+ HP 2000 lb.
> BP cars in attendance you need to provide sufficient runoff for them. How
> far is that if the throttle sticks at the wrong moment? 500 feet? 600
feet?
> 75 feet is simply not going to cut it even if the stock and SP cars are
kept
> below 65.

Where do you come up with 2000lb for a BP car?  I just scanned through
Appendix A and the lightest minimum weight I could find in there was 2060lb
(VW Corrado).  The more common cars in this class are more like 2500-3000lb.
Your point on runoff room is well taken, but 500 feet is VERY generous.
Probably sufficient, in fact, to allow a BP car to safely stop from
near-triple-digit speeds; remember, they're pretty light and can use any
kind of brakes they want.

> We have finally changed the SP rules to allow welded in cages but the are
> still prohibited in stock as is changing the drivers seat. What does this
> mean? People who autocrosses in the stock class will probably decide to
bolt
> in his cage to remain legal lessening his chances of surviving while
> participatning in Solo 1 or road racing.

How many Stock cars have YOU seen with full cages?  I have yet to see even
one.  And on nationally competitive Stock rides, you'd be hard put to find a
rollbar.  Most of the really fast Stock drivers in my region don't have them
in their cars.

> The same holds true for the seat
> even though there are dozens of documented cases where the failure of the
> seat back ratchet mechanism or rails has resulted in the driver being
thrown
> about the cockpit.

With proper course design, this isn't much of an issue.  Ideally, there's
nothing to hit but cones, and if your seatback ratchet fails on impact with
a cone, I'd be amazed if it held up on the drive to the event.

>The argument against it is that everybody will be forced
> to install roll cages and drivers seats in order to be competitive and
this
> will cause the cost to autocross to dramatically increase. So it's dollars
> vs. safety and look which wins...

No, the argument against it is, it isn't mandatory, it's only recommended.
I don't have a rollbar or cage in my car because a good bar for my car adds
about 50 pounds.  Even without that weight, I have a hard enough time
competing with MR2's in CS (most of them don't run roll bars/cages either).
I know I might roll my car at an autocross, but frankly I'm much more likely
to roll it on a public road.  Either way, the risk is small and I don't have
any problem assuming that risk.

> It is up to all of us to do our part. If you attend an event where a curb
or
> light pole looks a bit too close to the course speak up. If your stock car
> is going so fast you know the fastest cars must be exceeding the maximum
> speak up. Until you do the SSS at the event has the excuse that he/she
> didn't know about it. But once you bring it to their attention it is their
> nut in the wringer if they didn't change it and something does go wrong.

Finally, you said something that I agree with.  BTW, most of the safety
stewards we have around my region are proactive about potential on-course
hazards.  Which is a good thing.

Scot