Re: A way to reduce some classes

To: <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: A way to reduce some classes
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 15:06:34 -0500
Dennis "the medication needs adjusting again" says:

> DISCLAIMER: This is just a discussion item. There are no plans
to implement
> this,

As if you're privy to such plans when and if they're made. What
exactly is your official position with the SCCA again?

> This person is of the opinion that SP in in trouble (the
current SP
> rules do not reflect the current state of street-driven
vehicles as driven
> on the street, and as such, the current crop of actual SP
competitors have
> old cars and the category is not attracting much in the way of
new cars -
> this is not a good schenario for growth)

Define"new." If you're saying that folks aren't generally setting
up their 2001 Z06s for SP (actually, I do know one competitor
who's doing just that), so what? Most folks who buy nice new
sports cars tenr to wait a few years before they blueprint the
motors and such. How "new" is the current crop of SM cars?

Take a look at the 2000 Nationals entry list. Do some statistics.
Prove your assertion, if you can. Until then, it's just more of
your BS.

> This mystery man is also of the opinion that the SM rules do a
much better
> job of what SP should be than SP does, and so it deserves to
become the
> "New SP"

Again, who cares? If this "mystery person" actually wants to make
assertions re SP vs. SM, do him (her) the courtesy of allowing
him to do so own his own. How are we to know that you didn't
fabricate this "mystery person?"

> This is not the first time I have heard this particular
opinion -

Nor is it the first time you've expressed it. Interesting how you
do such a good job of "hearing" opinions that just happen to
coincide with your own. Ever hear the term "conflict of
interest?" Know what it means?. How about "self-serving?"

> However, every time I start down the
> mental road to replacing SP with SM,

What a load of crap. You've already gone miles down that road,
and we've all been perfectly aware of that. Your notion of SM
from the beginning has been _precisely_ to replace SP.

> I bump into the current crop of
> competitors.

My suggestion: keep up your politicking on behalf of SM - you've
been indulged far beyond what I'd agree is jsutified at this
point, and SM's success or lack thereof is still an open
question. IF and WHEN SM draws enough competitors to justify its
existence as a preparation Category - not just one "supplemental"
and one "Regional- only" class - we can see if it's taken
competitors away from SP. If it has, then you may be able to make
a case. Until that time, this is a non-issue.

Jay