ax-digest V1 #548, moving SCCA HQ

To: autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: ax-digest V1 #548, moving SCCA HQ
From: "K.C. Babb" <73110.574@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 23:03:00 -0400
Message text written by INTERNET:autox-owner@autox.team.net

Rocky said:
>Folks, anybody can float an idea. That does not mean it is a done deal, or
even likely. Keep your finger on the pulse. If you have a thoughtful
insight, feel free to make it, but flaming letters will accomplish nothing
at the moment as there is nothing to flame yet. Panicking that a decision
is
imminent is just that - panic. Talk to your directors as they will be the
ones ultimately making such a decision. But don't freak out that SCCA is
moving to Toplantaham next month. Ain't no way. They're still very early in
the "what if" stages.<

Well, some of us talked to our Director today, and the esteemed Mr.
Martinsen did say that Steve Johnson spent a lot of time with the
mayor and governor down there in Birmingham.  And he made it
sound like there's been a lot of talking but no formal offers (but
the Birmingham "talk" had a lot of niceties).  I'm kind of surprised
the BOD would endorse a region-specific (Southeast) solicitation
of CVB's to submit proposals--shouldn't this be done for any
reasonable areas?  Why not RMDiv?  MidDiv?  CenDiv?  What
makes SEDiv so special?

And I'd wonder why some people, apparently in or close
to SCCA, really think this is that close to consummation.   I guess
Steve (who seems like a terrific guy so far, IMHO) did--again
according to John M.--attempt to calm things down by saying to the
Staff today that there's at least a 50-50 chance the Office will
stay put.  But why did he have to do that?  Did something give
them the idea that such was not the case?

Questions, questions.  Perhaps it ought to be in the by-laws
that the Championship events need to be in the middle third
of the country.  Somewhere.  :-)

And Rocky, I'm surprised at you.  To insinuate that anybody on
Team.Net would flame.  Shame, shame.  LOL.

Karen Babb