Re: Solo II event

To: <ThoughtBoxLabs@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Solo II event
From: "Alan Pozner" <apozner@ptd.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 20:43:56 -0400
1) Don't spend a cent on your car. 90% of this sport is driver skill. When
you are just starting out the only car prep you should do is to clean out
your trunk and not have any loose articles in the interior.

2) Don't spend a cent on your car. After your first event you will wonder
how come other drivers are faster than you and you will want to modify your
car or buy new tires to make it faster. Avoid this temptation. The less you
change your car the quicker you will learn to drive. Improvements in driver
skill can account for 10 or even 20 seconds in time reduction. Changes to
your car will only account for a few seconds at the most. Take all the money
you might spend on the car and spend it on more seat time. Go to as many
evnets as you can afford to. Go to any and all schools offered in your area.

3) Listen and ask questions. Autocross people are friendly and most love to
help a newbie. Be aware that if they look lost in their own thoughts that
you should leave them alone. They are busy working on their own 90% :-)

4) Walk the course. The more you walk the easier it will be to drive.

5) Walk the course. You should have the course COMPLETELY memorized before
you drive it.

6) Walk the course. Did I say walk the course?

7) Most important - HAVE FUN. It's easy to get so tied up in the competition
that you forget that this is a hobby and ought to be fun. Remind yourself to
smile throughout the day.

8) Arrive early - stay late - help out.