Re: suspected illegalities

To: "Jay Evans" <95redmiata@home.com>
Subject: Re: suspected illegalities
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 07:46:25 -0500
Jay Evans wrote:

>Sure, Manufacturer must produce (a guess here) min 50,000 sets per year (US
>DOT) for tire to be legal in Stock

This would be absurdly difficult to verify, and it might well make some cars'
OEM tires illegal. I know you weren't around, but this subject has been beaten
to death _many_ times, both on this list and at the National committee level.
In the one National class that requires "street" tires - STS - there are now a
number of competitors who have additional sets of wheels for their competition
tires. Ergo, no tire rule will successfully reduce the cost of competition.

>Manufacturer X has Mach 007 this year. Great car for Y/S. But the next year
>he brings out Mach 007 Sport. 15HP more, larger sway bars and lower roll
>center, shod in wider rims and a more comfortable shift knob . Can I take
>the 007 and upgrade it to the 007 sport? Even just the suspension
>parts? Nope. If I upgrade the shift knob, I'm illegal.

The above scenario is not by any means the most common. A number of
manufacturers have come out with "new, improved" versions of a model that were
heavier and slower (on an autocross course), making the older version more
desirable. And sometimes the "new, improved" model is enough better that it
gets placed in a faster class. These issues are always being monitored by the
SEB, and adjustments in classing are usually made when it becomes clear that
they're warranted. If you're suggesting that an update/backdate rule be
implemented in Stock, I'd say the ultimate effect of that would be to increase,
not decrease, the cost of competition. Ask someone who competes in SP if you
doubt this.

Jay Mitchell