Re: Proposal for SP cars to compete in P ???

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Proposal for SP cars to compete in P ???
From: "gs96" <gs96@sgi.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 12:35:52 -0400
Bruce, I imagine the weight penalty is based on the
published minimums for Prepared cars.  For example if
the minimum weight for my car in AP trim is 2200 lbs
and I want to run AP but in SP trim  I might have to
weigh 2400 lbs.

My problem with the proposal is the DOT tire
requirement.  The main reason I'd like to run Prepared
instead of SP (or SM) is to use slicks. If they are
introducing weight penalties anyway, why can't they
just have a weight penalty for slicks on
wider-than-stock 17" (or 18") rims?  They could add
significant weight penalties to protect the current
Prepared competitors and still not inhibit most of the
SP competitors running the big wheels who want to try
slicks and run in Prepared.

Kent Rafferty
(yes, I'll write a letter)

M.Soar quoted:
"The PAC is considering a proposal to accommodate
Street Prepared cars (which are not subject to the
wheel size and induction
limitations of most Prepared classes) within the
existing Prepared category. Such cars would be required
to use DOT-approved tires and would be subject to
weight penalties."

Bruce wrote:
"My first thought is that a weight penalty is an
intellectual excercise here because SP does NOT have
weight specs in its rules. How much does it have to
weigh? You would have to know the shipping weight of
every car and go from there. Sounds like a can of worms
from that standpoint alone. AND... as a DP competitor,
I like the class as-is (for the most part). JEEEZ why
can't some people leave things alone for a while?"