Re: Proposal for SP cars to compete in P ??? (Rocky's History

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Proposal for SP cars to compete in P ??? (Rocky's History
From: "Brian Berryhill" <brianberryhill@usa.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 12:12:04 -0500
> > My point all along has been that the wheel limitation that produced
> > cantilever slicks is a poorly thought out rule.  Further, to accept a
bad
> > rule, solely because that is what we have, is foolish.
>
> I disagree that it is a rule either poorly thought out, or bad. If it had
> basic flaws, it would not have existed as long as it has. It is not the
only
> possibility, but it is the one that was chosen. There is no exigent need
> change it.

I wonder if cantilever slick occurrence was what got STS/STR the 7.5" wheel
width and the 225 tire width rules.  But of course, I've had some 225 tires
that were as wide as 245's.  At least tire tread width isn't as vague as
treadwear ratings.

As far as rules are concerned, it's pretty easy to measure wheel width and
determine if a wheel is 7.5" or 8".  225 vs 245 would be different.  I don't
know too much about the P-scene, but it sounds like they have rules that are
made to be enforced.  There's probably some physical limitation on how
"levered" a cantilever tire can get, right?  As long as everybody has access
to the same thing and no bias occurs, I think rules are good.

STS:  I forwarded some quotes when team.net was talking about STS tires and
such.  There were plentiful responses.  The general twist that I gathered
from people was many of them are just in STS for the fun.  If ringer tires
start showing up, people might start wanting a spec tire for the class.

Brian

--
MS region, Nov 17-18 autox: http://www.angelfire.com/ms2/scca/