Re: Start Design

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Start Design
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 10:17:40 -0500
Here's the thing: I _like_ "drag race" starts. For me, the ideal start is a
straight section for at least 5 car lengths.

But AWD and launch control systems aside, I've discovered that nearly *all*
starts - including the "tight turn before the lights" style we see at
Nationals - are "drag race" starts.

Or perhaps more sussinctly, just because there's a tight turn right in
front of you doesn't absolve you of the necessity of a hard launch.

I've got data from my logger that shows some astounding results from
launching harder and carrying more speed through those start turns - and
the less power you have, the bigger the difference.

So really, by having one of those start turns, you're not reducing wear or
anything, you're just giving another opportunity for those "in the know" to
make more time.

DG

The information contained in this transmission, which may be
confidential and proprietary, is only for the intended recipients.
Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this
transmission in error, please notify me immediately by telephone
or electronic mail and confirm that you deleted this transmission
and the reply from your electronic mail system.