Why most autocrossers don't want their sport on TV

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Why most autocrossers don't want their sport on TV
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 11:53:39 -0600
It's abundantly evident that the requirements that would have to be met in
order for our sport to get on TV - as articulated by those most in favor of
this development - clearly result in something that is _not_ Solo II.

Here's my suggestion to the malcontents: devote your efforts to creating a
_new_ sport that suits your preferences, and see if you can get a paying
audience and TV sponsorship for that sport. See also if any significant number
of serious autocrossers has an interest in competing in such a sport. That way,
those of us who actually _like_ Solo II as it now exists won't have to
underwrite the pursuit of someone else's ego-gratification. Best I can tell,
there are a handful of folks who apparently need public recognition in order to
feel good about their hobbies. You're certainly entitled to your insecurities,
but you're _not_ entitled to screw up a well-established, successful sport.

Jay