Re: Kumhos and Sentras

To: Brad Cox <COXB@tmfhs.org>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Kumhos and Sentras
From: Kenny Motonishi <kmotonishi@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 23:03:11 -0800 (PST)
  i noticed the Spec V has rather severe torque
steer..otherwise the car felt pretty darned fast to
me..
  i think the SVT Focus will be pretty silly fast
too..it's too bad we don't get the Civic Type-R as in
in the UK; that car rocks..and i don't think the U.S.
version will weigh more than 2750lbs (given an RSX-S
weighs 2770lbs), though what do i know; just my gut
feeling..
  i did notice that the SVT Focus is going to be
classified in DSP; i thought that was pretty
severe..did i read that classification correctly on
solo notes?

   ken

--- Brad Cox <COXB@tmfhs.org> wrote:
> >>2) Anybody been autoxing the new Sentra SER Spec
> V?  How have they
> done?<<
>
> I got a chance to do a "spirited" test drive in one
> the other day.  Overall, I was pretty impressed.
> The suspension felt pretty tight even though I had
> just jumped out of my Ground Control shod Civic.
> The 6-speed shifter felt great to me, but I like
> just a little bit of "notchiness" in a shifter.  The
> Skyline front end does a lot for the look of the
> car, nice seats, and the 17" wheels are nice too.
> Overall, a great looking package for $18k.  The
> helical LSD feels good too.  The model I tested came
> without a sunroof or killer stereo, so it is
> possible to get a somewhat 'stripped' model.
>
> The only real negative I could come up with is that
> the engine runs out of breath pretty quick.  The
> power band is about 2000 rpm's wide.  It's a good
> thing it's a 6 speed because you'll be rowing it
> like a boat.  I found that the best shift point is
> about 5800 rpm's, and that power really drops off
> before the 6200 rev limit.  First gear is very
> short, and 2nd gear is done pretty soon too, so
> you'll be forced to upshift before the ITR's.  The
> advantage is, you may not need to downshift in other
> places because that "big ole" 2.5L motor has a *lot*
> of torque at 3000 rpm's.
>
> I can't find any weight numbers on the Spec V, but
> if it weighs under 2800 lbs, then it could be a good
> autox car IMO.  Certainly better than the new Civic
> Si.  No LSD, very little torque, less HP... What a
> joke.  2880 lbs says it all...
>
> -brad
>
> ///  unsubscribe/change address requests to
> majordomo@autox.team.net  or try
> ///  Partial archives at http://www.team.net/archive
> ///  Send list postings to autox@autox.team.net
Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!