RE: Rear coilover question (84-87 Civic/CRX)...

To: autox@autox.team.net, mapco@att.net
Subject: RE: Rear coilover question (84-87 Civic/CRX)...
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:30:50 EST
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:42:02 -0500
From: Michael King <mapco@att.net>

<< Are ground control coilover kits legal under SM rules? I believe they
should
be since it attaches to the stock mounting points. But, SP rules state just
about the same thing as far as attaching points and from what I understand,
Ground Control coilovers are not legal. The OPM setup is though. Can someone
clarify what is legal and what isn't about these two setups? Also, is OPM
the only camber plate legal for SM/SP? >>

If the car has coil springs located around a shock or strut, then there is no
real question in SP. The SP rules allow a different diameter spring and
adjustable perches. The Ground Control parts are very popular and used on
many SP cars. STS is a bit more complicated with some mention of comercially
available stuck in the rules. I still think the G.C. parts would be fine, and
they even sponsored the ST classes for a while. Not sure if they still do.

Street Mod should be pretty open here. The rules say all suspension parts are
open as long as they use the stock mounting locations on the body. This is
much more open than SP. For the Hondas, this allows the dropped arms and
spindles as well as adjustable length arms for camber and toe adjusting.

Gary M.
Back in my 83 Celica for SM this year