Re: Street car - Taurus Question

To: <Hottvr@aol.com>, <eric@mail.brown911.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Street car - Taurus Question
From: "Rand E" <rande@mwis.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 00:36:38 -0600
> << Wife's '97 Taurus has the 'check engine soon' light on. Otherwise the
>  car has no visible symptoms or low fluids. >>
>
> I had the same thing happen on F-150 Ford pickup. I called the dealer and
ask
> about it. They told me to wait a week and see if it went out??? They said
> that many times
> its the electronics trying to readjust themselves to weather changes???
The
> next
> morning I started it and the light went out. I was amazed to say the
least.
> Its never come back on again and that was 3 months ago. They also told me
> that the "Check
> Engine" light has nothing to do with fluid levels. Its all oxygen sensor
> stuff. Thats what they told me and I'm sticking by it.

Mostly related to oxygen sensor and emissions stuff.  I've heard the light
will reset itself after a certain number of ignition cycles.

On a vehicle with an OBDI compliant computer you can reset it by
disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.  If there really is still a
problem the light will come back on after awhile.  Usually it just stays
off.  Don't know if this also applies to an OBDII computer.

Lawnboy
No road - no problem - no check engine light