Re: [evolution-disc.] Bobsleds, Networks, Connecticut,

To: "Steve Couture" <steve@couture.org>,
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Bobsleds, Networks, Connecticut,
From: "Charles R. Schultz" <n2pua4@peoplepc.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 22:06:31 -0600
So, what are you suggesting, remote flat tire systems on all cars, so
NASCAR can take out anybody they want before they can win and spoil the
show?  If you're talking about adjusting spoiler rules to even out
competition, how is that philosophically any different than the weight
adjustments we see in road racing?

As for the "no chicanes" comment, I guess you've never sat at the inner
loop of Watkins Glen and watched NASCAR modifieds and pickups trying to
outbrake each other into that bus stop chicane.  (I got too averse to
crowds to watch the Cup cars run after the chicane went in.)

Here are some photos:  http://www.n2pua4.webprovider.com/photos.html .

Now, here's my evil secret:  I can't sit and watch any race longer than
about 45 minutes on TV without falling asleep or being distracted by
other things going on around the house.  It's just not the same as being
there.  Cup races are the worst, because they are so darned long!  F1
isn't much better, since, although they are technically much more
sophisticated, competition is limited.  I can't stay focused long enough
to see the one big pass of the race, or, worse yet, to see how fuel
strategy plays out, I'm afraid.  Show me the highlights!

Sheesh, I thought I was born before the generations accused of having
short attention spans and wanting instant gratification.  Maybe my
generation invented impatience.

Or not.  ;^)

Chuck