Re: New car purchase questions

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New car purchase questions
From: Ron Nottingham <nottingham@alltel.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 23:39:41 -0500
Dave Hardy wrote:

> Just test drove a WRX this evening.
>
> 1. Good power above 3500 RPM's.  Below that feels like a Grand Am
> rent-a-car.
> 2. Felt lighter than it is.  Not nimble by any stretch, but more tossable
> than other 3000# cars.

My feelings exactly.

> 3. Horrible Tires

Really begs for more tire.

> 4. Surprising amount of tuck-in under lift throttle.  Not enough to truely
> qualify as oversteer, but enough that I now understand the high number of
> totalled WRX's at the hands of 19 year olds.

I think the 19-year-olds are trying to emulate Petter Solberg or Tommi
Makinen.

> 5. Wonderful Seats.  Probably the best OEM seats I've sat in.

Nice seats, but have you ever sat in a Taurus SHO or T-Bird SC?  Those
are MUCH better.

> 6. Radio - Didn't touch it.  The throttle was too entertaining :)

They have radios?!?

> 7. Read up on some of the warrenty issues at i-club.com.  Apparently Subaru
> is starting to deny any warrenty coverage of the tranny (which is the weak
> link) under the premise that the car was abused.  This abuse seems to be
> indicated by the broken tranny.  Good old fashioned circular logic, but I
> guess they find it cheaper than rebuilding trannies.

That's my main concern.  To get those sub-6.0 second 0-60's, you really
have to treat the car like you hate it.  The STi is supposed to have a
new 6-speed, and rumored to be MUCH stronger than the current 5-speed.

I'm waiting to see the STi on our shores, along with the EVO, before
making any final judgements...  But then the 22B STi will be around the
corner, and still won't be able to make a decision :-)

--
Ron N. - Dalton, GA    http://www.pchacker.org/
90 SHO                 http://www.v6sho.com/