a call by NASCAR, was This may say it all

To: Teamdotnet <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: a call by NASCAR, was This may say it all
From: Matt Murray <mattm@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 11:44:48 -0500
This was forwarded on to me and makes some sense.

I inquired:
>Could you explain the process for a car that is 1/4" out of spec
>(lower), that wins the race, and only receives a penalty? I
>missed the fair play connection on that.

to which someone replied:
This was covered in great detail at the beginning of yesterday's
Las Vegas race.  It came down to a call by NASCAR on whether it
was intentional or not; they ruled it was not intentional or an
aero-advantage on that particular track, but it was a violation
of the strict letter of the rules, hence the penalty.  The car
did pass ride height prior to the race, was involved in several
bumping incidents during the race, had the pit crew climb on top
of the car on the way to victory circle, etc.

Matt Murray

mattm@optonline.net