Re: We Autocross (was Progressive stuff)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: We Autocross (was Progressive stuff)
From: "Patrick Washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 12:55:01 -0600
Read the description of our sport in the SCCA rule book.  No where does it
say we race.  That is on purpose.  If we want to protect our ability to do
this activity cheaply and easily, we need to represent it as something other
than "racing".  This word brings many pre-conceived notions to many peoples
minds....visions of crashes and stuff.  Once this thought is in their head,
you can explain "Autocrossing" until your blue in face and they will still
see "racing".   Needless to say, this is enopugh to get many to rail against
us.  Even though it may sound a little trivial, given the subject of
insurance companies cancelling autocrossers and stuff, it can matter.

Someone privately responded to my "we are not racing" note:

> Not what?  I always describe what we do as racing.  It's just not wheel to
> wheel.

Patrick Washburn
C-Tech Trailer Cabinets
Designed for the Racer