Shock Debate Summary and Suggestion

To: <autox@autox.team.net>, <evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Shock Debate Summary and Suggestion
From: "Rick Cone" <rickcone@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 09:14:02 -0500
I don't think there has been a single issue in the last 4 or so years that I
have been on team.nonsense that has drawn more attention then this Shock
debate.  It was also the single biggest issue at the National Convention SEB
Town Hall meeting.  This many people talking about it is a good thing.  The
more that voice there opinion to the SEB not team.nonsense, the better they
can represent the autocrossing public as a whole.

Right now the ongoing sentiment breaks down like this:

A) Leave things as they are now.
B) Ban Upside Downers and External Reservoirs
C) B. and Single Adjustments (current Fastrack)
D) 1/4'' variance of custom shocks
E) OEM only.

Now if we take a general look at who is making what comments and I think we
have a pattern:

<This is only an observed observation>

SS, AS, and BS want things left alone.  (Very vocal group)
CS seems to go for option B.
FS seems to be somewhat quite on the issue, but they are between A and B
ES likes option C, because all the MR2's run the ever-rare GAB's....
DS,GS,HS from what I see, seem to like option C or E.

No one likes options D, the 1/4" variance.

Now an idea....
I know the answer already is going to be, "We'll we've never done it that
way" but...

If we narrowed this whole debate to 2 options, why cant we have 2 shock
rules.  One for say BS and above, and one for CS and Below?  It's obvious
that Penske won't get in the Business of making shocks for 10 year old
Honda's.  But Z06's are another issue.

Just my 2 cents....

Rick Cone