Street tire question

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Street tire question
From: "Karl Asseily" <karl@bizrate.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 10:05:17 -0800
Hey gang,

I own a modified (race suspension) 2000 BMW M Coupe, and my current STREET
tires are coming to an end.
I currently have the Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 in 235/40R17 front and 255/40R17
rear, on stock rims 7.5" front and 9" rear.

As I have Hoosiers for competition use, I want to go with the a cheap tire
combo for the street.

I can either buy another set of those Kumhos, or go with another brand of
tire like Falken (heard they're good and cheap).
Unfortunately, Falken does not make the Azeni version in the sizes I want.

1. Have any of you guys tried the Falken GRB FK-451 or the Falken ST-115 ?
Which is better? How do they compare to the Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 ?

2. How heavy are the Falken above compared to the Kumho 712 ?

3. What is the maximum size tire I can fit on a 7.5" rim ? I've heard 235/40
or 235/45 is the most you can go, but I am not sure.

4. If 235 is the max size I can go, should I purchase 235/40R17 Front and
255/40R17 rear, or go with 265/40R17 rear ? Opinions?

I am mainly interested in responses to question 1) and 2), since this will
influence my purchase greatly. I'd love to try out those Falken, but only if
they are better than my current Kumho 712 (which I like a lot, but are
getting slippery !!!).

Thank you

Karl

----