re: STS tire choices

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: STS tire choices
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 13:10:13 -0500 (EST)
Charlie Davis wrote...
> A little later today, I'll be aquiring a "commuter" car, which will also
> be STS legal.  It's an '86 Civic Si, and it comes with 2 sets of 13"
> wheels, a set of 7" and a set of 7- 1/2's.  Are there any good STS tires
> in 13"?

   I don't think so.

   Apparently, tire makers have decided that everyone who wants sticky
street tires also wants big, heavy wheels wearing big, heavy tires.

   There aren't even good 14 inch tires available anymore.  I just asked
Kumho if they might make a 14 inch "MX" the other day, and they said,
"No".

   You can still get a 185/60-13 Yokohama AVS Intermediate, but I don't
think that'd work for you, and it wouldn't be a real competitive STS tire
anyway.  If you're looking for a relatively wide, sticky, 13 inch street
tire, I think you're SOL.  I can't even get decent 14s anymore, if it
makes you feel better.

--
 D a v i d  H i l l m a n
 hillman@planet-torque.com